Want to get involved with Shakespeare Under the Stars?
The 2018 Season:
Othello by William Shakespeare
Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Hampshire Shakespeare Company is seeking a Technical Director for the 2018 summer season of “Shakespeare Under the Stars.”
The Technical Director will help support our proud artistic tradition of outdoor performances, which emphasizes the relationship between actor and audience. This position will begin in mid-April and end in late-August.
Technical Director Responsibilities
- Oversee season setup and strike, including but not limited to construction and work with scenic build and facilitating light hang and focus schedule
- Enforce safety procedures and train production staff on setup and breakdown of rehearsal space
- Create and procure small scenic elements and properties, as well as maintain, organize, and store all pre-existing scenic elements
- Presence at tech rehearsals to facilitate the execution of the artistic vision of the production
- Remain available for all performances to troubleshoot technical elements as necessary
- Work directly with facilities managers when called upon to do so
- Act as de facto manager of all technical departments for which a designer is not contracted
- Attend all production meetings
- May mentor and supervise of our production assistants
- Previous technical and build experience
- Leadership skills
- Lives within reasonable commuting distance to Amherst, MA
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to work with people of any age group
- Ability to solve problems creatively
- Team player attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Good sense of humor
- Outdoor theatre experience
- Technical director experience
- Community theatre experience
The ideal candidate will be a creative team player dedicated to creating a sense of community in an organization that includes staff and volunteers. Ability to think on your feet and adjust to the unpredictable nature of outdoor theatre is a must.
While Hampshire Shakespeare is a community theatre, the company offers a small stipend for much of its staff. All stipends are commensurate with experience and company budget.
Application Deadline: March 2
Interested applicants should send resumes, cover letters, and all relevant inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back Stage and Front of the House Volunteer Opportunities
Hampshire Shakespeare Company is seeking volunteers interested in assisting in the production of our 2018 summer season of “Shakespeare Under the Stars,” which will include productions of Othello and Twelfth Night. Opportunities are available as run crew, sound and light board operators, and costume and front of the house assistants.
Interested applicants should send an email stating their availability and interests to email@example.com